Make a Lasting Impression
Adolescence is a great time for orthodontic treatment — usually, teenagers have most of their permanent teeth and we can easily identify problems that need to be fixed. And, with a variety of colors available for bands, braces can be a unique fashion statement!
Reasons for Orthodontic Treatment for Teens
There are many different reasons for orthodontic treatment. Some teens only need braces for 12 months or less, while others require treatment for up to three years. It all depends on the types of problems we are trying to address and fix.
Some of these problems may include:
- Crowding or spacing of the teeth
- Rotated teeth that simply do not straight
- Teeth erupting on the side creating a “second row”
- “Gummy smiles” or not enough teeth showing when smiling
- Teeth that appear to be leaning back too much or pushed out too much
- Narrow arches that are not as esthetically pleasing as wider smiles
- Jaws shifting or clicking
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- Difficulty chewing and/or biting
- Extra or missing teeth
- Impacted teeth that are having difficulty erupting
- Discrepancies between the size of the upper and lower jaws, creating bite problems
All About Teen Treatment
In many cases, the earlier we discover the problem, the easier it will be to treat.
Dr. Barysenka may recommend the use of an orthodontic appliance at this time, to correct the problem early and prevent future complications.
Most teens who come into our office want to know exactly how long they’re going to have to be in braces.
The short answer — it varies. Length of treatment depends on three different factors.
It’s really, really important that our patients do exactly what we tell them to do — when we tell them to do it. They need to wear their rubber bands as instructed, come in for check-ups on a regular basis, brush and floss regularly, and stay away from sticky foods or items that can easily become caught in their teeth.
Give Your Teen a Healthier Smile
At Sycamore Orthodontics & Pediatric Dentistry we are proud to offer Invisalign Teen, a new treatment specially designed for teens that uses removable appliances.